Researcher Development Adviser for Postgraduate Research Students
Location: Scape 0.08
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7882 2809
Fryni Panayidou is the Researcher Development Adviser for Postgraduate Research Students.
Fryni’s academic background is in theoretical linguistics and, specifically, syntax. After completing a Research MA in Linguistics at Utrecht University, Fryni joined QMUL as a PhD student. Her PhD looked at the order of adjectives across languages, including an unwritten, endangered Arabic dialect spoken in Cyprus.
Before joining the Researcher Development team, Fryni held the role of Education Adviser at QMUL and academic positions in Linguistics at QMUL and ACTL (UCL). She has taught at UG, MA and PhD level.
Fryni is the lead for the following services offered by the Researcher Development team:
- The Researcher Development Programme of workshops for PhD students
- The points-based skills development system and database (Skills Points System)
- Wellbeing and mental health initiatives for PGRs such as the PhD Student Support Group,which Fryni co-facilitates with a Counsellor from the Advice and Counselling Service, and the workshop ‘Supporting mental health and wellbeing in PGRs: a guidance for supervisors’
- Events for PhD students, such as the 3-Minute Thesis competition and Café Scientifique
You might want to get in touch directly with Fryni if you:
- Are a PhD student interested in skills development opportunities within or outside QMUL
- Are a PhD supervisor with questions about how QMUL can support the development of your students
- Are a Director of Graduate Studies interested in finding out what training could be offered to PhD students in your School/Institute
- Are interested in finding out more about supporting PGR mental health and wellbeing
- Have questions about the points-based skills development system or database