Headed by Sally Mitchell, the Academic Development group in Student and Academic Services is made up of the following five teams:
- Educational Development, led by Antony Aleksiev (located in Scape East)
- E-Learning Unit, led by Brett Lucas (located in Scape East)
- Engagement, Retention and Success, led by Elena Dimascio (located in the Library)
- Learning Development, led by Kelly Peake (located in the Library)
- Researcher Development, led by Anna Price (located in Scape East).
Activity across the teams concentrates on a number of key areas: enhancing student experience and educational equality; improving research and educational practices and outcomes; developing staff in their academic and academic support roles. We work through a combination of formal programmes and projects, collaborative partnerships with individuals and Schools, and hands-on and strategic support for University initiatives.
The list below gives a sense of the range of current activity and expertise across Academic Development:
- Opportunities to take part in research, as a participant or as a co-researcher, for example through Long Table events around BME ‘Gaps’. Contact: Daniel Hartley.
- Opportunities to participate in the British conference of Undergraduate Research. Contact: Ana Baptista.
- Writing and study guidance from 1st year to PhD level. Contact: email@example.com
- A programme of workshops and training courses for PhD students. Contact: Fryni Panayidou.
- Opportunities to develop e-learning content in partnership with academic staff, via the E-Learning Production Scheme. Contact: Manoj Singh.
- Collaboration in the development of modules. Contact: Kelly Peake.
- HEA Fellowship and Senior Fellowship through the Teaching Recognition Project. Contact: Max Addo.
- Formal accredited programmes in teaching and learning e.g. CILT, PGCAP and PG Cert Learning & Teaching. Contact: Educational Development.
- Support in using learning technologies through one-to-one advice, workshops, and drop-in sessions. See: https://elearning.qmul.ac.uk/learn-and-network/
- Opportunities to concentrate on research writing through participation in a retreat. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Academic Leaders
- News from the field: developing in-depth understanding of differences in experience across different student groups and potential links to policy and practice. Contact: Elena Dimascio.
- Bespoke sessions developed for programmes, teams, schools or faculties. Contact: Heads of teams.
- Dialogue, planning and collaboration around key concerns and priorities for the University. Contact Sally Mitchell and Heads of teams.
To discuss ways in which Academic Development can support and work with you, please contact Sally Mitchell.
There are currently no events scheduled.